WGBW Launches Local Morning Show “Maino And The Mayor” & Hires Green Bay/Fox Valley News Anchor
June 21, 2023 at 02:53:27 PM UTC
(Green Bay, Wis)- Civic Media’s WGBW makes good on its promise to focus on community radio with the launch of “Maino and the Mayor” on Monday June 26th. The show will be hosted by Fox Valley radio and television legend John Maino and former Green Bay Mayor Jim Schmitt. The show will air in Green Bay and Northeastern Wisconsin, Monday- Friday 6-8 a.m., on WGBW 97.9 FM / 1590 AM. Maino has a broadcast career spanning 30 plus years.
“I’m really excited to be doing a show with Jim,” Maino said. “I had him on as a guest dozens of times in the past, and the thing I remember best is that for some reason we never stayed on topic. It was a free-flowing discussion, and I look forward to more of the same.”
Schmidt said he encouraged Civic Media to make Maino a co-host.
“John Maino is the best because he knows the greater Green Bay community better than anyone,” Schmidt said. “There’s no one with more media experience and dedication to Northeast Wisconsin than John. Plus he’s a good friend and funny guy.”
Civic Media CEO, Sage Weil, said he’s thrilled with bringing local community personalities to the Civic airwaves.
“Jim and Maino are a couple of cards,” Weil said. “They’re already well known, and I’m confident folks are going to love them with their morning coffee.”
Pete Schwaba joins Civic Media as the Green Bay/Fox Valley News Anchor. Schwaba currently hosts PBS Wisconsin’s Director’s Cut and wrote and directed the recent film, “The Godfather of Green Bay.”
Schwaba will contribute to Civic Media’s weekday, statewide, extended newscasts at 8 a.m., noon, and 5 p.m. Schwaba will also anchor local news in both Green Bay and the Oshkosh/Fox Valley markets.
“Pete Schwaba is an enormously talented communicator and storyteller.” Weil said. “We look forward to maximizing Pete’s role and tapping his extensive background in broadcast and film.”
WGBW line-up effective June 26th
- 6-8 a.m. “Maino and the Mayor Show”
- 8 a.m. – State and local news and sports-extended
- 8-10 a.m. – “The Earl Ingram Show”
- 10-noon – “As Goes Wisconsin” with Kristin Brey
- Noon – State and local news, weather, and sports, extended
- 12:15-1 p.m. – “Town Call”, moderated by William Walter and Luke Mathers. A daily Wisconsin, Civic Media town hall from around the state.
- 1-3 p.m. – “The Todd Allbaugh Show”
- 3-4 p.m. – “Matt Flynn-Direct”
- 4-6 p.m. – “The Devil’s Advocates” with Crute and Dom.
- 5 p.m. – State and local news and sports-extended
- 6-7 p.m. – “The Maggie Daun Show”
- 7-8 p.m. – Weekly rotating programs
- 8-10 p.m. – “The Rick Smith Show”
- 10-11 p.m. – “Native Roots Radio-I’m Awake”
Civic Media is dedicated to providing quality broadcast and digital hometown radio with a focus on local, regional, and state issues, covering the stories that are most relevant to the communities we serve. We believe radio plays a crucial role in our local communities, so we strive to provide programming that advances the understanding and engagement of our audience.